|74 Washington Street,
Eastport, Maine 04631
|Border Historical Society
Fort Sullivan Barracks Museum
In 1808, Major Lemuel Trescott oversaw the construction of a garrison on a hill
overlooking the Eastport area. Adams Street today borders the former location of this fort
on the north, High Street on the west, Sullivan Street on the south, and Water Street on the
The British occupied Eastport and this fort from July 1814 until June 30, 1818. was used
as a military facility until 1873.
In 1877 the government sold the property at Fort Sullivan. The northernmost officers'
quarters, built in 1809, was separated from the other two sections of quarters and moved
to its present location at 74 Washington Street. Another section was moved to Orange
Street, but it deteriorated and was destroyed. The Washington Street building is presently
a museum owned and operated by the Border Historical Society. Admission is free;
donations are happily accepted.
A tour of the Barracks Museum is worthwhile as a study of early 1800's architecture and
construction. A visit will present much more about Eastport, however. Each room is filled
with historical photographs and items, both military and civilian, not only concerning Fort
Sullivan but also the sardine and ground fishing industries. One room is dedicated to the
genealogy of this area. Open July and August
|Chairman Cory Critchley